Sunday 20 January 2008

IMMORTAL: Fly Lola T70

IMMORTAL SLOT CARS
Fly Lola T70

From time to time, ManicSlots is going to take a look at some of the 'immortal' slot cars that have been produced since the 'Fly' revolution of 1996. In 1996 Fly released the Viper, a slot car that would change the direction of the 1/32 slot car industry forever! Fly let us know that slot cars could actually resemble a racing car and introduced the slot car industry to the 'D' word, detail!

Of all of Fly's releases, the Fly Classic range has to be the most successful and sort after by collectors. Classic slots such as the Porsche 917K, Ferrari 512 and the Lola T70. More recently Fly has released other classics such as the Porsche 917LH and Ferrari 250 GTO but these models have not enjoyed the same success.

Of all the Lola T70s, one of the most collectible is the MkIIIB 'Chequered Flag', Ref: Z2. The slot is presented in a limited edition box with sleeve. As you can see from the photos, the car comes with an impressive limited edition number card which is attached to the box via a wax seal.

The car competed in the 24hr Daytona in 1969 and was driven by Jo Bonnier and Ulf Norinder. The car didn't finish the race after a wall collision ending in retirement during lap 52 within sight of the chequered flag.

The Fly Chequered Flag release of the T70 can still be found in the occasional slot store or on ebay but you will have to pay around the $US200 mark.

Detail is absolutely stunning on this model, unlike other T70s you get detail such as rear vision mirrors, race damage and markings and red light on roof.

There are numerous other collectible Fly Lola T70s, one I particularly like is T70 that competed at Thuxton in 1969. Fly recently released the Thuxton T70 as a post-race livery in a Fly kit, (slot shown on the left below).

You can find some great photographs and T70 specs here: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/3214/Lola-T70-Mk3B-Coupe.html

ManicSlots Collectibility Score: Off the Scale!

────────────────────────────────

1 comment :

indy33@roadrunner.com said...

GREAT!!! I HAVE A VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF T-70S, I BELIVE ALL OF THEM BUT YOU NEVER KNOW. DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON THE SLOTSWAP #3,I HAVE #38 OF 70. MAEK